A match offer is a way for a corporation or a foundation to match individual donations for projects that meet certain criteria. Your donors can see their donations double, match by 50%, triple, quintuple, or even decuple (that's 10X!) dollar(s)-for-dollar, to help you bring your project to life.
Here's how it works:
- The corporation or foundation selects the eligibility criteria for projects (by subject area, school location, etc).
- If a project qualifies for the given criteria, the teacher will receive an email letting them know that new donations to their project will be matched. Our partners can support 1.5X, 2X, 3X, 5X, or 10X matches.
- When a donor gives to a project, they’ll see a message at checkout alerting them that their donation will be matched, and by how much. As long as the match logo appears on the project, the new donations made will be matched (and donors won’t have to input a promo code).
How can I create a qualifying project?
Check out our match offers page for the instructions for our current match offers, and this blog post guides you through the process of selecting an offer that works for your classroom.
Which donations are eligible for a match?
Donations made using a credit card, or PayPal can be matched by a match offer. Gift card redemptions, donations made with account credits, and donations made during Friends & Family Pre-Funding can also be matched. Donations made using a promo code can be matched by either the promo code or the match offer - not both. Donations made by check will only be matched if the match offer is still live when the check arrives in our office.
How are donations multiplied?
Once the match offer logo appears on your project, new donations made will be matched until funding from the offer is no longer available. You’ll know the multiplier for the match offer from the number in the corner:
For the above match offer, here’s how your impact will be multiplied:
- You donate $10 to a project that qualifies for a match offer that triples your impact.
- The project will receive $10 from you, and a $20 match from the corporation or foundation that sponsors the match offer, bringing your impact up to $30.
When a donation is matched, those dollars stay on your project until you reach your funding goal.
If your project is archived or expires before reaching its funding goal, donations are returned to donors and matches are returned to partners to help support other eligible projects.
How does a 1.5X Match offer work?
Partners who support a 1.5X Match will match qualifying donations by 50%, turning $10 into $15, $50 into $75, and so on. These matches are a great way to make sure tons of classrooms can benefit from partner support at the same time!
Can I combine my Teacher Friends and Family promo code with a match offer to get multiple matches?
Since our system can't process more than one match offer at a time, we'll automatically save your Teacher Friends and Family promo code for a project that doesn't qualify for a match offer right away.
How can I know about upcoming match offers?
A list of current funding opportunities and match offers is distributed to all registered teachers monthly via our teacher newsletter. You can also stay in the know by checking our Match Offers Page.