Update on November 1, 2022 [6:14pm ET]:
Funding is no longer available for this opportunity.
What kind of match?
Starting October 27th, 2022, the Hawai’i State Department of Education will apply up to $1000 (including shipping, taxes, & fees) toward Hawai’i projects requesting resources to support students in response to COVID-19. The donation will be made to eligible projects shortly after they are reviewed, screened, and approved by our team of volunteer and staff screeners, which typically can take between 1 to 5 business days.
How to qualify:
- Teach PreK-12 in a Hawai’i public school.
- Submit a new project on or after October 27th, 2022.
- On the “HI” page while creating your project, enter the campaign code “HAWAII” by clicking "Apply a campaign code." You will not be able to enter this campaign code until October 27th. Projects without the campaign code will not be eligible for funding.
- Answer the included prompts from the Hawai’i State Department of Education:
- How has COVID-19 impacted learning for your students? How will the requested resources directly relate to helping students to continue their social-emotional or academic learning in light of COVID-19?
- Request around $750 in materials cost to keep your total project goal under $1,000 (view the screenshot in our Frequently Asked Questions to see the cost breakdown). The one-time donation from the Hawai’i State Department of Education covers your project’s combined cost of materials, shipping, applicable taxes and fees, and the suggested donation to DonorsChoose. Any projects with a total project goal higher than $1,000 will require more donations from the DonorsChoose community to be fully funded.
- Request resources to support students’ social, emotional, and mental well-being as well as the impacts of interrupted learning as a result of COVID-19. Your project must only request resources that will be used directly by students, or have a direct student benefit. Need inspiration? See this article for guidance on what resources are eligible. In your project essay, make sure to describe how the resources you’re requesting will help your students through pandemic-impacted learning.
What won’t qualify:
- Professional development, Special Request, and Virtual Trip & Visitor projects are not eligible.
- Teachers Pay Teachers items are not eligible.
- Resources that will not be directly used by students. Examples: Snacks and beverages for school staff, furniture for teachers, resources for parent engagement.
Note: Projects requesting gift cards (outside of Teachers Pay Teachers gift cards, which are not eligible) need to be reviewed by our small team of staff screeners. Based on the anticipated speed of funding, we recommend that you do not include any gift cards in your project for the best chance at receiving funding.
We encourage you to shop from our vendors with free shipping to Hawaii:
- Shop Amazon Business, Best Buy Education, CDW-G, Grainger, Kaplan, Lakeshore, TIME for Kids, Ward’s Science and Woodwind & Brasswind for free shipping.
- Shop MahoganyBooks for free shipping on orders over $100.
If you’re creating a project for tech resources, be sure to review technology guidelines for Hawaii school districts before shopping.
Note some items may not be available for shipping to Hawaii, such as aerosol cans.
- When shopping on Amazon Business, you’ll see an alert in red when you click into an item indicating it cannot be delivered to your location in Hawaii. See examples below:
- When shopping on Best Buy Education, you’ll see an alert on their landing page: Appliances and large displays 55” and larger are only able to ship to Oahu. Smaller items will ship standard to all Hawaiian Islands.
- Shop CDW-G for large displays that are 55”+.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A successful application of the campaign code during project creation will create a new banner on your project page.
Click here to see an example project page without applying the campaign code
You’ll see a processing fee, fulfillment fee, and a suggested donation on your DonorsChoose project in addition to your $750 for materials. The Hawai’i State Department of Education will donate up to $1,000 to each project to cover these additional fees, including the suggested donation. Projects totaling more than $1,000 in fees, suggested donation, and resources will require further funding.
No. Projects that have already been approved will not qualify. The only way to receive this funding is to create and submit a new project.
Educators can request classroom resources, including but not limited to supplies, technology, and instructional materials. Check out our list of commonly requested items. Resources that will primarily benefit teachers, parents, or other school staff members are not eligible.
No. Funding through this partnership is intended to address the individual and specific need(s) of each educator and classroom. Educators must submit their own projects to participate in the program.
Each Hawai'i educator can only have one project funded through this Hawai'i State Department of Education funding opportunity.
With thanks to Hawai‘i State Department of Education
With the help of a generous anonymous donation to Hawai‘i public schools, the Hawai‘i State Department of Education is proud to continue to support teacher-led efforts to engage and inspire students. Mahalo for all that you do in service to public education!