Update: As of March 27, this funding opportunity has returned!
What kind of match?
Starting January 17th, all qualifying projects will receive a 5X Match. That means a $20 donation will become a $100 donation, and so on.
If your project meets the criteria below, new donations on your project will be matched as long as funding remains. You will see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it is approved and live on the site. Please note, the match offer will not appear during Friends and Family Pre-Funding.
How to qualify for the match and one-time donation:
- Teach in a school in Oakland, California.
- Teach in a Pre-K - 8th grade classroom.
- Create a project requesting Book resources to help your students improve their literacy and love of literature.
- Your project must have the "Books" tag to qualify
- Request under $1,000 including taxes, fees, and the suggested donation to DonorsChoose.
- A teacher may receive up to $3,000 in matching funds from this opportunity.
What won’t qualify:
- Projects with a majority of resources other than Books will not qualify.
- Projects for 9th - 12th grade are not eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I tell if my project has the "Books" tag?
On your project page, you will see the "Books" tag just below your essay.
With thanks to Eat. Learn. Play.
The goal of Eat. Learn. Play. is to create a culture of reading for students in Oakland by making it accessible, fun and inspirational for the next generation of young readers. As part of this effort, we are proud to commit $1 million to fund teacher-led literacy projects across Oakland public schools.