How does it work?
Starting November 14, when teachers in grades 2-8 complete the Google CS First activity “Code Your Hero” with at least 20 of their students and fill out our Classroom Rewards form, they’ll receive a $100 DonorsChoose.org gift code, while funds last.
Please note: “Code Your Hero” is part of CS First’s Hour of Code. If you have completed any Hour of Code activity in the past for a DonorsChoose reward, you will not be eligible for this Classroom Rewards opportunity. If you have completed a CS First activity in the past that was not Hour of Code, you are eligible for this Hour of Code Classroom Rewards opportunity.
How to qualify for the rewards
- Create a CS First teacher account:
- You'll need a free Gmail/Google account to get started. (Don't have one? They're free and easy to create!)
- You'll be asked for your school address and a few other details.
- Create a CS First Club for your class, and invite your students to join the class and create their own student accounts at g.co/csfirst/DC-CYH.
- When you’re ready to teach “Code Your Hero,” send your students the “Code Your Hero” activity page. Help at least 20 students complete the lesson, including, watching the videos, creating a Scratch project, and taking the survey.
- You’ll be asked to submit a progress summary screenshot showing that each of your 20+ students have completed the “Code Your Hero” activity in either English or Spanish. After 20+ students have completed it in one of the two languages, your progress summary will show 50% completion. Make sure “Code Your Hero” is visible in the screenshot.
- To navigate to your progress summary, click on the "Code Your Hero" class card under "Current classes" on your CS First teacher page:
- Once you’ve completed the lesson unit, fill out this Classroom Rewards form. You’ll be asked to share the screenshot or pdf of the completed dashboard mentioned in Step 4. Please do not upload a Word document.
- Once we review and approve your Classroom Rewards form, we will send you your $100 DonorsChoose gift code within 2 weeks of submitting the Classroom Rewards form.
Q1. How do I get started with CS First?
A1. You can find a “get started” guide and other resources here: https://csfirst.withgoogle.com/s/en/teachers
Q2. I’ve completed Hour of Code on CS First with my classroom before. Can I participate in this Classroom Rewards opportunity?
A2. If you’ve completed the Hour of Code activity on CS First in the past for a DonorsChoose reward, you will not be eligible for this Hour of Code CS First Classroom Rewards opportunity. If you have completed a CS First activity in the past that was not Hour of Code, you are eligible for this Hour of Code Classroom Rewards opportunity.
Q3. How do I know if I’ve completed a Google Hour of Code CS activity in the past?
A3. It may help to search your email for “Hour of Code” to see if you received a gift card last year for completing this activity. We will not be able to verify this for you.
Q4. How long will this activity take my students to complete?
A4. We estimate that this can take up to 2 hours of class time.
Q5. Do I need all 20 students to complete the activity in order to be eligible for a reward?
A5. Yes. At least 20 of your students need to complete the activity.
Have additional questions?
If you have any other questions about the Classroom Rewards process, contact the DonorsChoose.org team through our contact form.