Update 8/14/19: This one-day back-to-school boost is complete! Thanks to every donor and teacher who made yesterday so special for classrooms across the country.
Today, we’re teaming up with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to give all donations to live, approved projects a 50% back-to-school boost. For example, the boost will turn $20 into $30, or $50 into $75 — which means every dollar donated today buys more books, pencils, paintbrushes, and chalk for every classroom, just in time for the first weeks of school!
How to activate the back-to-school boost:
- All live, approved projects on DonorsChoose.org will be eligible for this back-to-school boost. If you already have a live, approved project on DonorsChoose.org, you’re all set! If you have multiple projects live on the site, all of your projects will be eligible for the boost.
- The back-to-school boost will be available from 7:00 AM EST on August 13, 2019 until 3:00 AM EST on August 14, 2019.
- The back-to-school 50% boost will be applied automatically, so donors won’t need to enter a promo code.
- Credit card, account credit, and gift card donations to a live, approved project will be eligible for this boost. Check donations and donor advised funds will not receive the boost.
- Some projects qualify for other Match Offers; in that case, those projects will receive the boost for which they currently qualify, instead of this one-day-only back-to-school boost.
Frequently Asked Questions about the back-to-school boost:
Q1: How does the back-to-school boost work?
A1: The back-to-school boost will stretch any donation you give or fundraise today by 50%. That means if a project receives a $20 donation, The Gates Foundation will automatically boost it to become a $30 donation.
Q2: Can the back-to-school boost match donations that were made before today?
A2: In an effort to make sure the funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation can give a boost to every eligible donation today, the back-to-school boost will only be applied to donations made on 8/13/19.
Q3: I’m a teacher and my project qualifies for the Teacher Friends and Family (LIFTOFF) promo code. Will the back-to-school boost match the promo code, too?
A3: If a donor uses the LIFTOFF code on your project while the back-to-school boost is active, the LIFTOFF code will function as the boost, and the donation will receive a 50% boost, instead of a full 2X match up to $50. (The great thing about the boost is that donors don’t have to enter a promo code, and even donors you don’t personally know can make boosted donations.) We recommend using the LIFTOFF code after the back-to-school boost ends at 3 AM EST / 12 AM PST on 8/14/19.
Q4: I submitted a project just now so that I can get boosted donations on my project. Can you approve it?
A4: We have all hands on deck to make sure as many projects as possible can benefit from this one-day-only boost. While we’re working on approving your project, feel free to share your submitted project in Friends and Family Pre-funding. Eligible donations will receive the boost if your project is approved today.
With thanks to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is proud to join our community in supporting teachers and their projects across the country. A teacher’s passion and dedication to students go beyond school walls. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation thanks teachers for their tireless effort to provide their students with a quality education.