What is asset framing?
Asset framing is a way of communicating that introduces people by their skills, talents, and interests. Rather than focusing exclusively on shortcomings, asset framing shines a light on strength and potential. Your students are amazing and we want to hear about the brilliant, complex ways that they present themselves.
How can I asset frame?
- Describe students first by their strengths and aspirations.
- Speak to their agency: How do they engage with and participate in their education?
- You don’t have to ignore or omit their challenges, but it’s good to lead with what makes them unique and amazing.
Why Asset frame?
- Projects that do it well get more funding. Asset-framing helps donors see themselves in the students they support, which gives them an even stronger connection to your classroom.
- It’s easier to get your community’s engagement and support. Would your students or their parents feel proud if they read your essay? When your community members see your projects, they want to be inspired to support and eager to share it with their network.
- You’re modeling how you want your students to see themselves.
Check out these examples of asset framing
- Imagine Children's Museum Adventure
- The Story Continues: New Series Books for Devoted Readers
- More Technology Wizards!
Read more about this on our blog: "Shine the Brightest Light on Your Students" article