Update 1/18/19: Referrals for this Classroom Rewards are open again! Details on how to refer fellow teachers are at the bottom of this Help Center article.
Update 1/18/19: All our teacher referral gift cards have been claimed, and we will not be accepting any new referrals. We will update this Help Center article if additional referral funds become available. If you submitted a referral already but have not yet received your gift card, not to worry! We will send you your gift code within the next 4 weeks.
Update 11/14/18: If you've completed a Be Internet Awesome level with your class and are waiting on a reward, we're working on it! There's been pretty incredible interest in this activity, so turnaround time on your gift card may be 3 weeks. So sorry for the delay! If you haven't engaged your class in the Interland games yet, there's still time to get started.
Thanks to support from our friends at Google, K-6th grade public school teachers who participate in Google’s Be Internet Awesome program with their students will receive a $100 DonorsChoose.org gift code. What's more, if you refer your colleagues, you'll earn up to three additional $50 gift codes when they participate in Be Internet Awesome, too.
Google’s Be Internet Awesome gives educators the tools and methods they need to teach digital citizenship and online safety fundamentals. The materials, developed by Google in partnership with online safety experts like the Family Online Safety Institute, ConnectSafely, and iKeepSafe, enable educators to empower their students to be smart, alert, strong, kind, and brave online.
Here’s how it works:
- Head to Google’s Be Internet Awesome site (or click here for the Spanish site) and download the Be Internet Awesome curriculum, which contains lesson plans, vocabulary words, activities, and worksheets that are designed to complement Interland (see step 2 for more details). How often you use this curriculum in your class is up to you!
- Get your students started on Interland, an adventure-packed online game that makes learning about digital safety and citizenship interactive and fun, by having your students complete at least one of the four levels. We recommend starting with the “Kind Kingdom” level. Each student should complete their chosen level individually.
- After completing the level, print out the personalized certificates that your students will receive.
- Once your students have their certificates, fill out this brief follow-up survey. Upload a photo of at least 10 of your students holding up their certificates. Certificates must have printed student names, photos showing certificates with handwritten names are not eligible.
- Once you’ve downloaded the curriculum and filled out the survey, the DonorsChoose.org team will email you a $100 gift code within 3 weeks, while funds last. We’ll update this page if we’re ever running low.
How to refer a fellow teacher:
- When the teacher you refer successfully completes Be Internet Awesome with their classroom, they should include your email when asked “Did another educator refer you to this opportunity?” in the follow-up survey. Be sure to let that teacher know that they can only put in one email for that question.
- Once the referral is verified, the DonorsChoose.org team will send you your $50 gift code within 4 weeks, while funds last. We’ll update this page if we’re ever running low.
- Each teacher can earn up to three referral bonuses for telling teachers about this opportunity.