Update 9/6/18: Funding for this match offer has been fully applied to eligible projects and donations will no longer be matched. We are thrilled to see all of the amazing projects created to promote STEM in the classroom! We will update this page if additional funding becomes available.
Update 9/5/18: Funding for this opportunity is starting to run low. We will update this page once funding has spent out.
Craig Newmark, founder of craigslist and Craig Newmark Philanthropies, is a renowned supporter and champion of public school teachers. Earlier this year, we polled DonorsChoose.org teachers in our Facebook community with a question: in what ways would you like to to see Craig Newmark support classrooms in the future? Over 80% of our community members said they’d love to see Craig’s support of STEM projects, so this back-to-school season, we’re teaming up with Craig Newmark Philanthropies to match donations to qualifying STEM projects!
Throughout this campaign, the Craig Newmark team is eager to hear teachers’ voices about what empowers them as STEM educators. Donors and teachers can help unlock an additional $50,000 to extend this campaign by tweeting the hashtag #STEMStories.
Here’s how to qualify:
- More than half of your students are from low-income households. See more about how we use data to define economic need on DonorsChoose.org.
- Create a project that will help you teach science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (or all of the above!) to your students in a hands-on way.
- Use the keyword STEM in your essay.
- Keep your total project goal under $1000, including tax, fees, shipping, and the suggested donation to support DonorsChoose.org.
- Select either Mathematics or Applied Sciences as your subject area.
If your project meets the criteria above, you should see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it’s approved and live on the site (however, it won’t appear during Friends and Family Pre-funding). New donations will be matched one-to-one as long as funding remains.