Update 10/11/18: Our 5X Match has been changed to full funding! Read below for more details.
An anonymous funder wants to give students the opportunity to visit the National Memorial for Peace and Justice and will fully fund projects from area teachers seeking to visit the memorial with their students. This brand new memorial will give students an understanding of the powerful, painful history of enslavement, lynching, mass incarceration, and racial injustice.
Projects from schools in driving distance to the memorial that request travel expenses and museum tickets will be eligible for quintupled donations.
Here’s how to qualify:
- You teach in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, or Tennessee, within a day's drive of Montgomery, AL. Lodging requests won't be eligible for this match offer, so if your school isn't within a day's drive, you'll need to create a second project for lodging costs.
- Create a class trip project (click “standard” then “class trip/class visitor”).
- Using this screenshot as your price quote, enter the number of students attending this trip and indicate which ticket type they’ll need. We recommend the combination ticket for the most holistic experience at this memorial.
- Enter any bus and food expenses your students will need--we recommend checking with fellow teachers or your principal to see what bus companies or processes are recommended. Please note that no food is allowed at the memorial, so your class can get lunch at a nearby restaurant or eat on the bus!
- In your essay, talk about what your students will learn at the National Memorial for Peace and Justice and how this trip will be a valuable experience for their understanding of our nation's history.
If your project meets the criteria above, you should see a 5X Match appear on your project to let you know your project will be fully funded. We will fund qualifying projects once a week, so don’t worry about fundraising with the 5X Match--we’ve got it covered!
Once you’ve confirmed your project funding, you’ll be prompted by our site to upload an invoice. You can obtain an invoice by either calling the museum at (334) 269-1803 or emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the date and time of your visit.