Update 2/25/19: The completion form for this classroom rewards has been shut down, and new submissions will not be accepted. If you have already submitted your completion form, we will send you your gift code within the next two weeks! Huge thanks to our stellar teacher community for participating in this exciting opportunity.
Thanks to support from our friends at Google, 5th-12th grade public school teachers who complete a first unit of the Applied Digital Skills curriculum can earn up to $280 in funding for their classroom. (And colleagues who refer new teachers who fit the bill can earn an additional $100 in classroom funding!)
[Note that if you are an existing teacher of Applied Digital Skills, or if you received DonorsChoose.org funding credits for Applied Digital Skills previously, you’re welcome to complete additional units, but you won’t be eligible to receive $280 in DonorsChoose.org funding credits. You can, however, earn $100 in funding for your classroom for referring a colleague! Just remind your colleague to enter your email address in their completion form, so we know who introduced them to Applied Digital Skills.]
Digital literacy, problem-solving and creativity are often cited as essential skills for jobs of the future, but a recent Economist study reveals that among 18-25-year-olds, less than half (44%) believe that their education system is providing them with the skills that they need to enter the country’s workforce. Applied Digital Skills is a new curriculum from Google that helps to address this need. It is designed for a self-paced blended learning environment where learners practice life skills while collaborating and creating projects. The lessons are completely free, and the video-based tutorials teach critical thinking and digital skills learners need to succeed. Instructors facilitate the course using provided lesson plans, and they can track learner progress along the way.
The first DonorsChoose.org instructors who complete one unit of Applied Digital Skills with 50+ learners can earn $280 in credits.
How to qualify for rewards
1. Create your Applied Digital Skills Instructor account. You'll need a Google account to sign up (Gmail address will work. Don't have one? They're free and easy to create!)
2. Follow the prompts to create a class, and enroll your learners with your unique class code:
3. Click on the Curriculum tab at the top of any screen to peruse the lessons available. The lessons vary in instructional time required. In order to qualify for a reward, you may complete two 45-90 min lessons with at least 50 learners, or one 2 hour+ lesson with at least 50 learners. For example, you may complete the “If-Then Adventure Stories” lesson (2-3 hours), or both the “Create a Resume in Google Docs” and the “Create a Presentation ‘All About a Topic’” lessons (both 45-90 minutes).
4. Teach the unit! Fill out this completion form to let us know you’ve completed the unit. You’ll be asked to share two links of student project examples (please make a copy of their original work and remove any personally identifiable information of students). If everything checks out, you’ll be emailed your $280 DonorsChoose.org gift code within two weeks!
Please note that if you received DonorsChoose.org funding credits for Applied Digital Skills last fall or spring, you’re welcome to complete additional units but won’t be eligible to receive additional DonorsChoose.org funding credits.
But you CAN earn $100 in funding for your classroom for referring a colleague! Just remind your colleague to enter your email address in their completion form, so we know who introduced them to Applied Digital Skills.
Q1: I've started teaching students the unit but some are not showing up on my Instructor Dashboard. How do I add them into the class after they started?
A1: Please have your students rejoin your course by following these steps:
- Go to g.co/applieddigitalskills
- Sign into their account
- Once they've signed in, have them go to this link: g.co/applieddigitalskills/role
- Then reselect "I am a learner"
- Type in your course code
Q2: My students are completing the videos and activities but they are missing checkmarks next to some activities in my Instructor Dashboard. Will I get credit for them completing the unit if there are not checkmarks for every video?
A2: Don't worry about every student having checkmarks for every video and activity on your instructor dashboard. If they are added to your course and show some activity progress, they will count toward your total for the DonorsChoose.org reward credit.
Q3: I've signed up on the DonorsChoose.org form but cannot find where to sign up with the same email address on the Applied Digital Skills website. Where do I go?
A3: There is no form on the Applied Digital Skills site to complete. You only need to register on the Applied Digital Skills site as an instructor.
Q4: Multiple teachers at my school are interested in teaching Applied Digital Skills units to our students. Is there a way for student accounts to add more than one instructor's class code?
A4: We're glad to hear that multiple teachers would like to participate in this reward program! Unfortunately, there is not a way for one student account to be associated with more than one instructor account at the same time. One workaround would be to have students use a different email account for each instructor who is teaching a different unit of Applied Digital Skills. If this is not an option, you can still individually qualify for rewards. Please have one instructor reach out to us with the emails of all the teachers in your school that are teaching units of Applied Digital Skills and we will work with you to ensure our records are accurate.
Q5: How do I copy my student’s project and share a link to it on the completion form?
A5: You only need to share a couple example student works in the completion form for this reward. This can be any file from your students that they worked on for any activity of any lesson within the Applied Digital Skills curriculum. Follow these steps to share the link:
- Open a file in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawing, etc.
- Open the “File” menu, and select “Make a copy”. Name the document something that does not include the student’s name or information. Click “OK”.
- In the new document that is opened (the copy), please be sure to remove any information about the student that created the project.
- In the top right corner, click the blue Share button.
- Click "Get shareable link" in the top right of the "Share with others" box.
- Make sure the drop down menu has “Anyone in the link can view” selected
- Click the “Copy link” button to the right of the drop down menu, or select and copy the entire URL in the field below.
- Paste this link into the completion survey
For any questions related to the Applied Digital Skills classroom rewards program, please reach out to us at DonorsChoose.org/contact. For all other questions, please visit the Applied Digital Skills FAQ's doc.