Update: Beginning November 16, eligible projects $5,000 and under will qualify for a 3X match instead of a 2X match, while funds last.
What kind of match?
All qualifying projects will receive a 2X Match. That means a $20 donation will become a $40 donation.
If your project meets the criteria below, new donations on your project will be matched as long as funding remains. You will see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it is approved and live on the site. Please note, the match offer will not appear during Friends and Family Pre-Funding.
How to qualify:
- Check in with your school's coaching staff to see what they need to help their teams prepare and excel on the playing field.
- Create a project and on the HI page enter the campaign code SPORTSMATTER by clicking "Apply a campaign code."
- Create a team sports project. This means that the resources you’re requesting must be used by a school sports team, not a PE class or for recess/recreational time. If you lead an extracurricular sports club (i.e. running), your project may be eligible.
- Projects that support existing team sports that are now training at home are eligible!
- Be sure to mention which team sport your project is supporting. If your project supports multiple teams, include all of those sports in your essay. Check the list of eligible sports projects below.
- Requested resources must go to the direct playing of the sport. Sports equipment, conditioning equipment for specific sports teams, and necessary sports apparel are eligible.
- Select Team Sports as your subject.
- Teachers can post multiple projects for this funding offer.
Eligible sports for this match:
Archery, Boxing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Cricket, Cross-Country, Curling, Cycling, Dance Team, Disc Golf, Distance Running, Diving, Equestrian, Fencing, Field Hockey, Fishing, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Martial Arts/ Kung Fu, Mixed Martial Arts, Mountain Biking, Competitive Mountain Climbing, Netball, Pickleball, Polo, Racquet Sports, Rowing, Rugby, Sailing, Skating, Skiing / Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, T-Ball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Track and Field, Triathlon, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Weight Lifting, Wrestling
What won’t qualify:
- Projects that support sports that are not on the list of eligible sports at the bottom of this page.
- Projects requesting resources that are not directly for the playing or conditioning of an eligible sport, like backpacks for personal use or markers and poster board to make signs for team spirit.
- Projects that are requesting resources for P.E., recess. Projects should support afterschool leagues or teams.
- Technology is not eligible for this match. Some exceptions include: pedometers, fitness watches (not general smartwatches, like Apple watches), speakers for dance teams, Hudl (football software).
Looking for inspiration?
Here are some of our favorite team sports projects:
With thanks to The DICK'S Sporting Goods Foundation
Youth sports are in trouble - billions in funding have been cut from school sports programs in recent years, and 24% of U.S. public high schools currently don’t offer sports. That's why The DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation is matching sports teams in communities across the country on our site!