Update 5/24/17: CALIA funding for girls' sports teams is running low! While funding lasts, qualifying Sports Matter projects for girls' sports teams (with a price cap of $2000) will be considered for full funding thanks to CALIA by Carrie Underwood! Funding will be applied once a week, and projects posted in the next week will have the greatest chance of receiving funding.
To be considered for full funding from CALIA:
- Enter the campaign code SPORTSMATTER
- Create a project for your girls' sports team
- Keep the total project goal under $2000
- One project per teacher will be considered
If your girls' sports team project is not fully funded by CALIA, it'll still qualify for matching donations as long as the DICK'S Sporting Goods Foundation logo is on your project.
The DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation is funding a one-to-one match offer of up to $1.5 million for Team Sports projects. Teachers can submit their team sports project today to help ensure your students have access to all of the benefits of sports participation.
Here's how to qualify:
- Check in with your school's coaching staff to see what they need to help their teams prepare and excel on the playing field.
- Sign in (or create a new account) to DonorsChoose.org and create a new project. Been a while? We’ve got you covered with these detailed instructions.
- Start a new standard project and make sure to enter the campaign code "sportsmatter" by clicking "Got a campaign code?"
- Create a team sports project (this means that the resources you’re requesting must be used by a school sports team, not a PE class or for recess/recreational time). Make sure to select “Team Sports” under “Health and Sports” as your project’s subject. Teach at an elementary school? If you lead an extracurricular sports club (i.e. running) your project may be eligible.
- Make sure to mention what team sport your project is supporting. If your project supports multiple teams, include all of those sports in your essay.
- Requested resources must go to the direct playing of the sport. Sports equipment, conditioning equipment for specific sport teams, and necessary sports apparel are eligible.
- Projects for this offer will be hand-selected once a week. (Please note that requests for general technology such as iPads, tablets, laptops, and cameras will not be eligible.)
- Teachers can post multiple projects for this funding offer.
Who is eligible to submit a project?
Educators at a United States public or public charter school, employed full-time by the school or district who work directly with students at least 75% of the time are eligible to post projects. (If you are eligible to submit a project you don't need to fill out a separate application.)
- If you don’t personally coach a team sport, check in with your school’s coaches and post a project on their behalf!
- Coaches who coach a team at a public or public charter school but who are *not* employed full-time by the school or district must partner with an eligible teacher your school to post a project on behalf of you and your team.
- If you’re a teacher AND a coach, you’re already eligible!
What is Sports Matter?
Sports Matter is an initiative to raise awareness and address the growing issue of underfunded youth athletics nationwide.
Why is the DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation supporting these projects?
The DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation believes that sports make people better and teach life lessons that extend well beyond the playing field. Research shows that student athletes are absent from school 50% less often, have an 11% higher graduation rate, and are four times more likely to attend college.
The mission of the DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation is to make a lasting impact in the community by supporting programs that inspire and enable sports participation.
What team sports are eligible for funding?
Visit Sports Matter’s FAQ for the list of sports that are being supported.
Is there a limit to the amount of resources I can request? If you are new to DonorsChoose.org, you can request up to $2,000 in materials/equipment or up to $1,200 in funding for experiences (non-material resources) such as transportation, lodging, registration fees, facility rental, or sports camp registration fees.
If your students need more than $2,000 in equipment or more than $1,200 in experiences (and you don’t have the points), contact us at www.donorschoose.org/contact and we’ll be happy to help.
Is there anything else I need to know to request funding for transportation, lodging, registration fees, facility rental, or sports camp registration fees? Please submit your project as a class trip project and make sure to have a price quote handy from the vendor or organization that will receive the funds. For example, you’ll need a price quote from your local skating rink if you’ll be requesting funding for ice time for your school’s hockey team.
How long will this match offer last?
This offer will last as long as funding remains. We'll update this page when funds are running low!
Need inspiration? Here are some of our favorites: