What kind of match?
Starting July 20th, 2023, all qualifying projects will receive a 2X Match. That means a $20 donation will become a $40 donation.
If your project meets the criteria below, new donations on your project will be matched as long as funding remains. You will see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it is approved and live on the site. Please note, the match offer will not appear during Friends and Family Pre-Funding.
How to qualify:
- Teach at an Equity Focus School. Check if your school qualifies.
- Create a project and on the HI page enter the campaign code SPORTSMATTER by clicking "Apply a campaign code." See the screenshot below.
- Select “Team Sports” as your subject. Please ensure accurate representation and select the corresponding subject area only if it truthfully aligns with your project.
- Create a competitive team sports project. This means that the resources you’re requesting must be used by a school sports team, not a PE class or for recess/recreational time. If you lead an extracurricular sports club (i.e. running), your project may be eligible.
- Projects that support existing team sports that are training at home are eligible!
- Be sure to mention which team sport your project is supporting. If your project supports multiple teams, include all of those sports in your essay. Check the list of eligible sports projects below.
- Requested resources must go to the direct playing of the sport. Sports equipment, conditioning equipment for specific sports teams, and necessary sports apparel are eligible.
Eligible sports for this match:
Archery, Boxing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Cricket, Cross-Country, Curling, Cycling, Dance Team, Disc Golf, Distance Running, Diving, Equestrian, Fencing, Field Hockey, Fishing, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Martial Arts/ Kung Fu, Mixed Martial Arts, Mountain Biking, Competitive Mountain Climbing, Netball, Pickleball, Polo, Racquet Sports, Rowing, Rugby, Sailing, Skating, Skiing / Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, T-Ball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Track and Field, Triathlon, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Weight Lifting, Wrestling
What won’t qualify:
- Projects that support sports that are not on the list of eligible sports at the bottom of this page.
- Projects requesting resources that are not directly for the playing or conditioning of an eligible sport, like backpacks for personal use or markers and poster board to make signs for team spirit.
- Projects that are requesting resources for P.E., recess. Projects should support afterschool leagues or teams.
- Technology is not eligible for this match. Some exceptions include: pedometers, fitness watches (not general smartwatches, like Apple watches), speakers for dance teams, Hudl (football software).
With thanks to The DICK'S Sporting Goods Foundation:
Schools in low-income communities offer just ⅔ of the sports opportunities as schools in more affluent communities. That’s why The DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation is matching up to $500,000 in donations to sports teams at US public schools that have historically been underfunded due to racial and economic inequity.