We’re unable to have a policy of proactively refunding donations when a project expires without full funding. We issue a tax-deductible receipt to each donor at the time of their gift. If we then proactively issued refunds at a later date, the receipt would give credit for a donation that was not made, and facilitating that would jeopardize our 501c3 status.
Like you, we want your donation to go to a classroom that needs support as quickly as possible. If a project you support does not proceed to completion, we'll email you with information about your donation.
If you know the teacher personally and gave during Friends & Family pre-funding, or while the project was live:
- We’ll send your donation to that teacher automatically, for use on their next project.
If you don’t know the teacher personally:
- We’ll email you with two options of how to handle your donation:
- Choose another project that inspires you, or
- Send the teacher you supported a DonorsChoose.org gift card, which he or she can use toward their next project.
- If you don’t take an action within 30 days, we’ll apply that funding to an urgent classroom project in need of support.