Update August 10 at 4:28PM ET: Funding for this opportunity is no longer available for any new projects created past this time.
Update August 7: Funding for this offer is running low. We anticipate all funding will be applied to eligible projects within the week. If you have a project idea in the works, submit as soon as possible for the best chance to receive this donation!
Update August 4: Our team resolved an issue with projects receiving partial one-time donations. If your project received a partial one-time donation but has not received completed funding from our team, please contact us.
Starting on July 31, 2023, the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development will award up to $1,000 in Federal COVID Relief funding to Alaska classroom teachers’ projects requesting resources to support students in response to COVID-19. Funding for eligible projects will be applied shortly after a project is approved.
How to qualify:
- Create a teacher account at www.donorschoose.org/teachers if you don’t already have one. Then return to this page to follow the rest of these instructions.
- Sign into your account.
- Teach PreK-12 in an Alaskan public school.
- Create & submit a new project on or after 12:01pm ET July 31, 2023.
On the “HI” page while creating your project, enter the campaign code ALASKA by clicking "Enter a campaign code."
Request resources to support students’ social, emotional, and mental well-being as well as the impacts of interrupted academic learning as a result of COVID-19.
- Keep in mind that your $1,000 grant includes the materials cost, applicable taxes and fees, and the suggested donation to DonorsChoose. To keep your total project goal at $1,000 you should request around $650 - $750 in materials; you will see the project’s total goal update as you progress.
Keep your total project goal under $1,400, including all applicable taxes and fees, and the suggested donation to DonorsChoose.
- Projects totaling between $1,000 - $1,400 in fees, suggested donation, and resources will require further funding from additional donors.
- A project with a total project goal above $1,400 will not receive a donation from the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development.
- In your project essay, make sure to describe how the resources you’re requesting will help your students through pandemic-impacted learning.
What won’t qualify:
- Professional Development projects are not eligible for this funding opportunity.
- Teachers Pay Teachers gift cards are not an eligible resource for this funding opportunity.
Special requests and virtual trip and visitor projects are not eligible for this funding opportunity.
- Special request projects are projects that request materials from outside of DonorsChoose’s vendor catalog. For this grant, you’ll need to shop from one of DonorsChoose’s 24 integrated vendors.
How you’ll receive funding:
If your project meets the above criteria, you’ll receive $1,000 in funding as soon as your project is reviewed by our team and posted on our site, while funds last.
With thanks to the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
The Alaska Department of Education & Early Development (DEED) is proud to support Alaska teachers and reward the sacrifices and extra effort teachers made during the COVID-19 pandemic to support students’ academic, social, and emotional needs. DEED hopes this investment provides lasting support for each classroom across the state. Thank you for all of your hard work during these challenging times to provide a quality education to Alaska’s students.
All participating teachers should comply with any applicable local laws and school district policies when creating their DonorsChoose projects for this partnership.
All Alaska public school educators who teach students in Pre-K – 12th grade are eligible for the program. For the purposes of this program, “Alaska educator” is defined as any full-time equivalent public-school employee who spends the majority of their time directly educating or counseling students. Read more about eligible roles in this article. Only one DonorsChoose account per teacher is permitted.
Educators can request classroom resources, including but not limited to supplies, technology, and instructional materials.
No. Funding through this partnership is intended to address the individual and specific need(s) of each educator and classroom. Educators must submit their own projects to participate in the program.
Each Alaska educator can only have one project funded through this funding opportunity. However, educators are encouraged to post additional projects to DonorsChoose and benefit from our community of donors.
After your project has been fully funded and you’ve received all of your materials, you’ll be prompted to upload a short essay and some photos showing the impact your materials had in your classroom.
The following vendors have guaranteed free shipping:
- Best Buy Education
- Time for Kids
These vendors offer free shipping under certain circumstances:
- MahoganyBooks has free shipping on orders over $100
- Amazon Business has free shipping for specific items, but not all items
- Some items may not be available for shipping to Alaska, such as aerosol cans.
- When shopping on Amazon Business, consider these shipping restrictions to Alaska (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202052360)
- When shopping on Best Buy Education, appliances and large displays 55” and larger will only ship to Anchorage.
- Shop CDW-G for large displays that are 55”+.