Update 4/2/18 -
If your project was fully funded thanks to Born This Way Foundation’s match offer, you’ll receive a link to a survey to share your experience in exchange for a $25 DonorsChoose.org gift code. Submit the survey by April 15, 2018 and you’ll receive your gift code on April 16, 2018.
Update 3/23/18 -
Congratulations to our five winners!
Ms. Dituri: Catching Feelings - Let's Talk About It Campaign
Mrs. Trasatti: Building Social and Emotional Skills for All Students
Mrs. Fleming: Improving Emotional Wellness Through Mindfulness
Born This Way Foundation is committed to supporting the wellness of young people and empowering them to create a kinder, braver world. That mission is only possible when students have access to the information, support, and resources they need to foster their mental and emotional health. That’s why Born This Way Foundation is supporting teachers with a 2X Match on teacher-led and student-led projects that give students the resources they need to be mentally and emotionally healthy.
All eligible submissions will also be reviewed with Born This Way Foundation’s Mental and Emotional Wellness Rubric (below) for the chance to win one of five $5,000 DonorsChoose.org gift cards! Review the rubric below to give your project the best chance at receiving one of these rewards. We’ll announce the winners here in early 2018.
Here’s how to qualify:
- Enter the campaign code BORNTHISWAY when you create your project.
- Select “Standard” as your project type.
- Request resources or experiences to improve your students’ mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Keep your total project goal under $500, including taxes, fees, and the suggested donation to support DonorsChoose.org.
- In your essay, describe the positive impact these resources will have on your student's’ mental and emotional wellness. Follow the rubric below for extra guidance.
If your project meets the criteria above, you should see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it’s approved and live on the site (however, it won’t appear during Friends and Family Pre-funding). We’ll also review submissions that don’t include the campaign code above once a week. New donations will be matched one-to-one as long as funding remains.
Need inspiration? Start here!
- Born This Way Foundation and the Benenson Strategy Group collaborated on a survey to better understand how a young person’s mental health is impacted by their relationships and environments, finding a strong correlation between kindness and mental wellness. Learn about it here.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and MentalHealth.gov offer a variety of resources for educators and students focused on the brain and mental health.
- CASEL and the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence are great sources for resources and information about Social and Emotional Learning.
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network has a wealth of information and resources focused on helping children cope with trauma.