Thanks to support from our friends at Google, 4th-8th grade teachers who help 20+ of their students explore coding (no prior experience necessary!) can earn up to $350 in DonorsChoose.org gift codes for their classroom. Each activity below will earn you a $100 gift code, and up to $50 in bonus gift codes when you complete two or more.
You and your students will also be entered to win one of two types of prizes: (1) Having your students’ logos featured by Google on their website and/or social media, or (2) an in-person or via Google Hangout classroom visit from real Googlers. Complete at least one activity and the completion form to qualify.
Already in the thick of it and have questions? Check out our FAQ!
Here's how it works:
1. New to DonorsChoose.org? Go to www.donorschoose.org/teachers to register.
2. Create a CS First teacher account. You'll need a free gmail account to get started, and you'll be asked for your school address and a few other details. You must be a 4-8th grade teacher to earn rewards.
3. Create a CS First Club for your class. You’ll need to enter your school’s location and select a club theme from the list below to be eligible for rewards. The themes that are eligible for rewards are listed at the bottom of the page under "Sample Activities," and you must select one of these to be eligible for rewards.
|Activity||How to find it||Completion Form|
|One of the following activities:
1. Create your own Google logo (if you already completed this activity in the fall you won't be able to do it again) OR
2. High Seas OR
3. Gumball’s Coding Adventure
|Scroll to the bottom of the "Choose theme" screen, and select the blue Google logo, High Seas, or Gumball's Adventure||Completion form|
|Create your own Google logo for Valentine’s Day||Scroll to the bottom of the "Choose theme" screen, and select the blue Google logo, then click activity #2||Completion form|
Create your own Google logo for Earth Day
|Scroll to the bottom of the "Choose theme" screen, and select the blue Google logo, then click activity #3||Completion form|
4. When you’ve created your club, picked your first activity, and set a time to teach the lessons, send your students to g.co/csfirst/DCLogo to create student accounts. Once they’ve entered your club’s code (it’ll be a number and a word, as pictured in the yellow box below), you’ll be able to track your students’ progress through different activities, and you’ll need these tracking abilities to confirm student completions.
Note that students only need to enter your club code on the first day of each new club, and select “yes” when prompted with the question “Do you need a CS First username and password?” If the activity is spread across more than one class session, or for future CS First activities and clubs, students should use the same username and password. You can help keep track of usernames and passwords with this roster.
Your club should indicate the correct school name, one of the club themes or activities listed above, and a unique club code to share with your students.
5. Help your class(es) complete 1-3 coding activities over the course of the spring semester. Each activity will take about an hour of class time to complete. Your students will need a Scratch account to share and save them, but they will use the same generated username and password from CS First to sign up and sign in to Scratch. Be sure to complete the activities listed above, since these are the ones that are eligible for rewards!
6. After your 20 students have completed an activity all the way through (including the reflection survey), fill out the DonorsChoose.org 5-minute completion form(s) linked above to let us know you’re all set. As part of the form, you’ll be asked to upload a screenshot of your CS First teacher dashboard showing 20+ student completion stars, so be sure to have that image handy. Have fewer than 20 students in your class? Get in touch with us here!
7. Once you’ve filled out your completion survey, the DonorsChoose.org team will email you a $100 gift code within 2 weeks, while funds last. You’ll earn one $100 gift code for each activity your students complete, and you can complete one, two, or all three of the activities in the order that works best for your class!
8. If you complete two activities by June 30, you’ll be eligible for a bonus $25 gift code while funding lasts. And if you complete all three activities by June 30, you’ll be eligible for a $50 bonus gift code while funding lasts. Bonus codes will be distributed by the end of July (one $25 or $50 code per teacher).
9. And the fun continues! If your students love these resources, CS First also offers free themed clubs you can start at your school. The clubs include 8 hours of coding activities for your students to complete, tied to interest areas like fashion and game design. Make sure to print and hand out this take home flyer for your students so they can continue working on their projects, create new projects, and share them with family and friends.