Update 5/29/18: Funding for this match offer has been fully applied to eligible projects and donations will no longer be matched. We are thrilled to see all of the amazing projects created to help teachers grow and learn! We will update this page if additional funding becomes available.
Earlier this year, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation supported a 2X Match on all professional development projects, in hopes of finding out the things teachers want to learn most. We surveyed teachers who had projects fully funded through that match offer and learned that their favorite PD offerings fell into 5 categories: mindfulness, diversity and inclusion, literacy, school culture, and peer-to-peer learning.
This new match offer from the Gates Foundation will support professional development projects that help educators learn about one of those 5 categories with matched donations. The Gates Foundation believes that when teachers invest in their own development, they help to create student-ready schools. They’re eager to support teachers learning the things that matter most to them with this 2X Match offer!
Create a project requesting professional development resources or experiences aligning with one of these 5 themes:
- Mindfulness and emotional wellness
Earlier this year, Ms. W received books that empowered her to teach mindfulness in her classroom. Here's what she had to say: "The feeling in our room, the calm, the readiness...is pulsing ever so quietly through our space as students are doing their best work."
More project inspiration for your own mindfulness and emotional wellness PD:
- School culture and engaging classrooms
A few weeks ago, Mrs. Lowery attended a conference that reinvigorated her love of teaching. Here's what she had to say: "This professional development opportunity was life changing for me and helped me to see new and intriguing ways to engage my students and make the learning come alive for them."
More project inspiration for your own school community-building PD:
- Learn Like a Student! from Ms. Nichols
- Experiencing the MAGIC behind the Ron Clark Academy! from Ms. Stalker
This winter, Mrs. Critzer received books that helped her develop new strategies to teach literacy to her students. Here's what she had to say: “The books are wonderful. They have given me so many different ideas to help my students.”
More project inspiration for your own literacy PD:
- Growing Confident and Capable Readers Through Student Centered Instruction from Mr. Frier
- Help Me Help My Students! from Mrs. Oliver
- Inclusive teaching
Here's what Ms. Gomez had to say about her experience attending a conference to hear more about teaching diverse learners: "I absolutely love to see what other educators are doing across the country to support their English language learners and learned so many new strategies."
More project inspiration for your own inclusive teaching PD:
- A Framework for Understanding Poverty from Ms. Sealey
- ¡Cuidado Maestra Preparandose! Be Aware! Teacher Getting Ready from Ms. Obregon
- Peer-to-peer learning
Here's what Mrs. Buccioni said about her experience learning from peers in her field: “Meeting and networking with fellow professionals in my field is essential, especially in my content area of World Language, because I am a department of 1 at the middle school level, so I don't have colleagues with whom to collaborate at my school site.”
More project inspiration for your own peer-to-peer learning PD:
Here’s how to qualify:
- Create a professional development project requesting resources or experiences that will empower you to be a more effective educator in one of the categories above.
- If you’re requesting funding for a conference, be sure to follow the guidelines for trips on DonorsChoose.org: namely that your trip date must be between 2-8 months from when your project is posted.
- Keep your total project goal under $1,200, including taxes, shipping, fees, and the suggested donation to support DonorsChoose.org.
- In your essay, describe how your project connects to one of the 5 themes above.
If your project meets the criteria above, you should see the match offer applied to your project as soon as it’s approved and live on the site (however, it won’t appear during Friends and Family Pre-funding). New donations will be matched one-to-one as long as funding remains.